With summer fast approaching and temperatures finally coming out of the deep freeze, people are now beginning to take their tops off… grill tops that is!
All of the summer recipe cards are getting the dust blown off and slowly making their way to the (picnic) table. Most summer recipes include American favorites such as hotdogs and hamburgers, potato salad, bbq ribs, and the list goes on. A lot of these foods crave to be covered in a plethora of condiments. Here’s a list compiled with some of the top used condiments.
Use it as a guide this summer to stay lean and fit and be proud to take YOUR top off!
Good ol’ fashion mayonnaise is familiar to virtually everybody. Have you ever made homemade mayo? If not you haven’t seen the high amounts of calorically dense ingredients that go into it.
- Popular Uses: Bases for salads and other mixtures, sandwiches, burgers
- Cons: High in fat and calories
- Substitution: Try using Miracle Whip instead of mayo for your next recipe, a fraction of the calories!
You don’t have to look hard to see ketchup almost everywhere: base of a lot sauces, in virtually every restaurant, and definitely a fan favorite. Be careful when using ketchup as it’s host to hidden amounts of sugar, usually in the form of high fructose corn syrup.
- Popular Uses: Hotdogs, hamburgers, French fries, base in sauces such as BBQ sauce
- Pros: Makes bland healthy options more tolerable
- Cons: calories can add up quickly
- Substitution: Instead of unloading your stress on the ketchup bottle on top of your next burger, try using only mustard instead as it is 2-3x lower in calories
Mustard is definitely a staple in most refrigerators and comes in many different forms! With the calories being as low as 3 calories a packet you cannot go wrong with choosing mustard.
- Popular Uses: hotdogs, hamburgers, sandwiches, ingredient in dips
- Pros: Low calorie, lots of flavor
- Cons: Stains your shirt, bold taste
- Substitution: Try using mustard on your next hamburger to help keep the calories low
Depending on where you’re from, BBQ can have a different meaning. There are lots of different styles of barbecue and barbecue sauces to go along with it. The BBQ should be used sparingly, however.
- Popular Uses: Chicken, Pork, Beef
- Pros: Lots of flavor
- Cons: Can have a high sugar and calorie content
- Substitution: Try pairing BBQ sauce with a lean meat such as chicken breast to help keep the overall calories down while maximizing flavor!
Who doesn’t love a chunky salsa?! Comprised of simple ingredients that mostly can be grown in your garden, this condiment is definitely a good choice.
- Popular Uses: Chips and salsa, burritos, tacos, shredded chicken
- Pros: Low calorie, lots of vegetables, fresh, flavorful
- Cons: Best when homemade
- Substitution: Try this on your next taco night instead of salsa from a jar
These are 5 condiments that you will most likely see arriving to the table in one way, shape, or form. Use this as a guide during your next encounter!
What are your favorite condiments during the summer?